This relatively undiscovered region merits several days, if not at least week, to explore all it has to offer. Happily, some of the best hotels in Montenegro are found along the coast. Whether you base yourself in the UNESCO World Heritage city of Kotor , the aristocratic retreat of Tivat or the secluded, fairytale fishing village of Perast, here are the best places to stay for exploring Montenegro’s coastline.
1) Hotel Hippocampus , Kotor – for contemporary design meets historic grandeur. Seven outstanding rooms and suites showcase the owners’ impressive collection of antique furniture and modern art, while the rooftop restaurant is also well worth trying.
2) Hotel Forza Mare , Dobrota – for international 5-star glamour. This sleek, chic hotel is located in Dobrota, 3 km away from Kotor’s old town. Rooms and suites are themed to different countries – the views from the Mauritius Suite over the Bay of Kotor are hard to beat. Be sure to set aside time for the spa , too.
3) Hotel Vardar , Kotor – for boutique chic in an unbeatable setting. Located in the heart of Kotor on the city’s main Square of Arms, this 24-room boutique hotel couldn’t have a better location. Pick one of the suites for views directly out to the piazza below and book a table at the quayside sister restaurant, Galion.
4) Vila Nikcevic , Ljuta – for your own private retreat. This stylish villa has room for up to 28 guests, and located in the village of Ljuta, just 5 minutes from Kotor. With its own pool, beach area, professional-sized kitchen and bar area, it’s ideal for large gatherings or intimate celebrations.
5) Hotel Astoria , Kotor – for your own taste of aristocratic living. This building dates back to the early 14th century and was once was the palace of one of Kotor’s leading noble families. The spacious and elegant rooms retain a sense of historic grandeur, combined with all the modern comforts you could wish for.
7) Villa Duomo , Kotor – for self-contained elegance. Once an aristocratic townhouse, this exceptional building now contains 13 apartments fitted out to the highest standards. Choose from studio, one, two, or three-bedroom apartments for a home-away-from home experience – the hand-crafted furniture, sumptuous fittings and and top-quality toiletries are the icing on the cake.
8) Hotel Primavera , Tivat – for class meets convenience : This classically elegant hotel has a prime location: on a square at the heart of this charming waterfront city, just 20m from the sea’s edge. Cafés, restaurants, gardens and of course the Adriatic itself are all just a stone’s throw away, and the international airport isn’t far away.
Find out more:
Once your accommodation is arranged, read more about all there is to see and do in Kotor and its region, and begin planning your stay.
Check out our video, Destination Montenegro , for a taste of what the Bay of Kotor has to offer.
The development of Luštica Bay is located just a short distance from Kotor, Perast and Tivat. Coming soon to this new property will be a variety of four and five star hotels, which will mean even more choice of places to stay in this region.